Hello to all PJFC families,
School holidays are over and we are on the final stretch to the end of the season.
Inaugural PAFC/PJFC Business Lunch
On Friday 21st August, as a joint fundraiser, PJFC and the senior arm of the club, Prahran Assumption Football Club are hosting a first time ever Business Lunch at Palladium at Crown – it will be an event to remember and will have a host of football identities as hosts. More details to follow – see “save the date” attached. We are seeking donations of “money can’t buy” experiences/auction prizes – please contact PJFC’s own Jason Cornell on 0451 079 708 if you would like further information.
MFC at Toorak Park
Melbourne FC has reembraced our region as part of its homeland and, as a part of this, moved their formal training for one night in late June to Toorak Park. It was a massive night with heaps of MFC supporters (and other!) in attendance. See a couple of photos attached.
At the end of season 2014, Jamie Gray stepped aside as President after 5 years at the helm of PJFC. In that time, it is fair to say that the club experienced unprecedented growth and from 7 to 19 teams and has become a very sound and financially robust club. It has become (and is continuing to be) the envy of the SMJFL and is seen as a real “go to” club in the league. Without Jamie’s strong leadership, ethical direction and good business acumen, this growth would not have been possible. The general Committee along with representatives from PFC held a dinner in Jamie’s honour to thank him for his years of service. A presentation was made of a framed PJFC jumper and former VP and committeeman Peter Lupson made a most entertaining speech which had all attendees in tears of laughter.
Jamie has served this year in the invaluable role of Immediate Past President and has been a most welcome source of knowledge. Thank you Jamie for your direction and leadership and best of luck.
Sports Chaplaincy Australia
Spots Chaplaincy Australia (SCA) now offers a Pastoral Care Program to all SMJFL clubs if such a service is ever required. Chaplains provide healthy strategies for club communities to care for players, coaches and members who can occasionally struggle to connect. SCA takes a fresh approach with meaningful and emotional engagement. This is a free service and available for all at PJFC so if you know of anyone who needs support please contact them. More details available at: sportschaplaincy.com.au
A few date reminders for you all:
- Sunday 2nd August – u8 and u9 Lightning carnivals
- Sunday 9th August – u10 and u12 Girls Lightning carnivals
- Sunday 16th August – u11-u15 and u15 Girls Semi Finals
- Friday 21st August – inaugural PFC/PJFC Business lunch (save the date below)
- Sunday 23rd August – u11-u13 Grand Finals, u14-u15 and u15 Girls Preliminary finals
- Sunday 30th August – u14-15 and u15 Girls Grand Finals
- Sunday 30th August – end of season award presentation/family day at Toorak park
And finally, a prompt for 2016 and a BIG thank you…
The July school holidays are always a challenge for our club. There are so many of our member families that choose to leave Melbourne at this time of year, but it does put pressure on those who are not going away, so please bear in mind for next year;
- If we don’t have enough players, it requires an enormous amount of effort to avoid a forfeit.
- Forfeits not only mean teams miss out on game time opportunities but those who have elected to stay behind and play may end up NOT playing and wishing they HAD gone away.
- Our opposition clubs will also miss opportunities to play
- You can have a great holiday (12/13 days away) without missing a game or even longer (19/20 days away) missing just one game. Please please please next year – do what you possibly can to plan your holidays around missing no more than one game!
AND thank you, thank you, thank you so much to our amazing VP, registrar and secretary, Madeline O’Connor. I have witnessed just some of the considerable amount of effort that Madeline has put in to keeping some of our games from being forfeited as well as trying to salvage those that have unfortunately ended up not proceeding. It is widely acknowledged that Madeline does a power of work around the club but please make a point of saying a special “thank you” to her next time you see her.
Have a great week and Go Prahran!